Saturday, October 23, 2010

Proposals and Illustrations......A mini rant.

So, I just got off the phone with a lovely Bride that we had a face to face consultation with last week, let's call her Bride X for fun. X asks me "how much time could we actually spend on proposals/Illustrations and why other florists she has met with did not make her wait for Illustrations and a formal proposal"? Really, she said she didn't have to wait cause she didn't actually get any Illustrations or proposals at all. Now, I am not here to say every Florist or Event Designer should do this but we do and it's part of OUR process.
Illustrations serve the Bride not us. We want to be able to give you a vision of what we discussed and a snippet of what could be, instead of trying to make you imagine what we are trying to tell you. Don't get me wrong......we have faith you know what you want, we are just trying to bring that vision to life! This take hours...no lie....hours to create. As far as the formal proposal....ummmm you should get at the VERY least a contract. If not, well I wouldn't buy anything without one that's just our take ;o)

It begs the question: don't Brides just take the Illustrations and shop them around to other Florists? unfortunately, they do and it's part of life. It's hard when we know another Florist "replicates" work based on these drawings but we won't let a couple bad apples ruin a nice thing we do for our brides! Besides, if another vendor is willing to "replicate" another Designers vision I worry about what that Designers real talent is without our drawings to help them.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you do illustrations. I didn't get them for my wedding but they did an actual mock up of just the centerpiece. I wish I could have seen illustrations of each piece of floral work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame that was too, because you know how much I love working with you and from what I saw that is what they did take your illustrations and replicated them. YOu are awesome though and we can't let a few bad apples ruin who you and your talent are all about...My couples love your illustrations and quite frankly so DO I!!

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete